Category Archives: Chicago Parking Tickets
It’s been six years since the City of Chicago offered an amnesty program to induce scofflaws to cough up the cash for unpaid parking and red light camera tickets.
But now, in the midst of a heated mayoral campaign, 2nd Ward Alderman Bob Fioretti has proposed a ticket amnesty program that would allow drivers to pay the original fine amounts for unpaid parking tickets issued before April 15th, 2014 according to DNA Info.
Fioretti, who planned to introduce an ordinance at Wednesday’s city council meeting, believes the city could generate a lot of much needed revenue from a ticket amnesty.
Feed your parking meter or use your spare change to buy something taco-riffic from Taco Bell?
That’s the conundrum the fast food restaurant poses for viewers in a new TV commercial where a young man tries to order one of the chain’s new menu items and still get back to his car before the parking enforcement officer writes him a ticket for an expired meter.
His car rarely leaves the garage, and has never been driven on the streets of Chicago. But one suburban driver is getting all sorts of parking tickets for places he’s never been.
A vanity license plate that reads “FINANCE” according to NBC 5.
That’s the total amount owed the City of Chicago for 773 parking and red light amassed by Cook County vehicles over the past 10 years according to the Chicago Tribune.
The Cook County Board is considering paying the entire amount to the city in one lump some, while also trying to collect the past due fines from the county employees who was driving the vehicle at the time of the violation.
However, since the tickets go back so far and county record keeping may not be that exact, it may be impossible to track down all the drivers. It is county employment policy to hold the employee driving the vehicle responsible for any infractions while operating the vehicle.
Here’s a little comedic relief for Chicago drivers and the constant onslaught of parking tickets they face every year–about 2.5 million annually.
This short is courtesy of the fine people at the Chicago Comedy Film Festival.
DNA Info has been crunching the numbers on Chicago parking tickets recently.
And after going through info on nearly 5 million Chicago parking tickets issued over the past two years, they keep digging up interesting tidbits of data.
In their most recent revelation, they focused on out-of-state drivers.
According to the data, 90% of the tickets issued were to vehicles with Illinois plates with the other 10% going to out-of-state vehicles.
Which fire hydrant produces the most Chicago parking tickets?
It’s in front of a liquor store in Englewood located at 1025 W. 63rd Street according to an analysis done by DNA Info.
Over the past two years, cars at this hydrant have been ticketed 877 times–that’s an average of more than a ticket a day. The expensive $150 tickets allowed the city to generate over $48,000 in revenue from all the tickets.
And that’s more than twice the tickets of the second place hydrant located at 5558 W. North Avenue in the Austin neighborhood which racked up a paltry 372 tickets for drivers who dared to park there over a two year period.
The Reverend Charles H. North, of Oklahoma’s City’s Third Pentecostal Holiness Church, drove his car downtown, and parked at a spot in front of one of those new-fangled devices called the Park-O-Meter.
The Park-O-Meters had just been installed the month before and had created sort of a hub-bub around town over those past few weeks.
North stepped out of his car, and wiping sweat from his forehead stepped into the hot and dusty street, walked to where the meter was planted in the cement in front of his automobile, and read the gadget. It demanded 5 cents to park there.
The cops and parking enforcement workers don’t seem to like each other according to a report released by the Chicago Inspector General Office.
A public screaming match between a Chicago police officer and a parking enforcement aide (PEA) has received the attention of the city’s IG, which after investigating, found what they call a widespread animosity between the two departments.
According to the report issued today there’s a perceived rivalry between the two departments.
“In general, there is a perception of a rivalry between PEAs and police officers; a perception shared by both sides and supported by online commentary,” the report said. “PEAs believe that CPD police officers are unnecessarily targeting PEAs for abuse. PEAs asserted that CPD officers are adversarial to PEAs in certain or all districts. Police officers, for their part, felt that PEAs unnecessarily saturate areas with enforcement.”
Fox Chicago News and a bevy of other media outlets picked up on The Expired Meter’s story on the issues with ParkChicago users getting ticketed while paid up using the app.
Newsradio 780′s Nancy Harty also had a short radio report as well.