NBC 5: Drivers Still Getting Ticketed Using Parking Meter App

It seems the ParkChicago app is acting up again, and a handful of drivers are getting ticketed after paying for their parking using the smart phone app according to NBC 5.

NBC 5 spotlights two motorists who used the app to pay for parking but still got ticketed.

Luckily for them, the media spotlight inspired the city to dismiss the drivers tickets.

Soon after the app was launched last spring, The Expired Meter reported a few hundred drivers had the same problem with ParkChicago.

Here’s the full story, “Commuters Report Continued Problems With ParkChicago App.”

11 Responses to NBC 5: Drivers Still Getting Ticketed Using Parking Meter App

Article indicates that improper tickets were written by ticket writers from CPD, Dept of Finance and SERCO – sounds like some retraining is in order

2. Vic says:

I have been dinged 4 times while using park chicago app. Only way for me to get them dismissed was to go in person to challenge them in front of a hearing officer.

I knew this was going to happen as soon as the app came out. I’m slightly surprised that the ignorance has gone on this long. Then again, most ticket writers are ignorant, stupid, and stubborn, so I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise.

The issue for Finance PEA’s is that there is an on going issue with the app not updating like it should be.

I presume the same issue for the CPM staff.

As for the CPD, I don’t know if they even have the app that Finance staff has, so I can’t justify any comment about them.

PEAs are instructed to contact their supervisors if they run into this issue in the field.

RE: Pete..

Eat my shorts dude.

The 3rd party pay by phone app was a bad idea.

Park Mobile (similar in appearance to an IPass device) was working and should have been forced down CPM’s collective throats.

Maybe the parking kiosks should have been designed with a display that shows which car license plates have been paid by smart phone, for that kiosk. Might be a more reliable system if it were updated in real time (as opposed t the current system which seems not to be updated as often as it should be).

Now that is a good suggestion, Jeff.

And I need to correct my earlier post…

Park Magic….not park mobile. Oops.

Drew

Wit a built in display of plates that have paid (and the time that their parking expires, any ticket writer could see if the car is ticket eligible or not , even without access to the app used by SERCO or Dept of Finance.

Pete:

While there may be some bad apple ticket writers, I think calling them all “ignorant stupid and stubborn” goes a little too far. They are just doing their job like everyone else.

The fact that this app malfunctions and that ignorant ticket writers don’t even bother to check if a driver has paid is a feature, not a bug. Think of how many people just pay those bogus tickets.

Tell me Pete, how do you suggest we FIX this problem since you are so opinionated on this topic?

Ditch the app? Go back to Park Magic? The device was working with no problems as I recall. It was ready to go live all it needed was to go into mass production.

Use the system that the Park District is using? Cause I don’t know that I’ve ever heard of this sort of problem with the Park Districts Pay by Mobile app at all since it went live.

Its not that PEA”s are not checking to see if people paid via the app. It’s that the app isn’t reliable. We know it isn’t reliable. But there is not current work-a-round except to void out the tickets that get issued due to the current problem of the app not updating.

We will void a ticket in the field if someone shows that they paid, and it is current. We don’t give the “you have to contest the ticket’ speech in cases like this. BUT, a large percentage of the time our staff issues tickets (for whatever the violation is for) they don’t hang around waiting for the Driver to come back to the vehicle.

And that reason is simple…our staff do not want to engage with the citizen that just received a ticket…usually because usually the encounter isn’t going to be polite. Despite the fact that PEA’s do endeavor to do the job 100% accurately 100% of the time.

Oh…one further point.

PEA’s can not void out a different PEA’s ticket. If you get a ticket due to this issue, and the PEA you approach isn’t the one that issued the ticket; you will have to call 744-PARK to have the issue dealt with.

Police will tell you the same thing, no Officer can void out another Officer’s citation.