Drivers See Long Lines On ‘Last Day’ Of City Sticker Sales

Lines to buy Chicago city stickers flow out the door of the city payment center at 2550 W. Addison St. Friday morning.

The line to buy a Chicago city vehicle sticker flowed outside the Chicago Department of Finance Office at 2550 W. Addison St. and down the length of the strip mall where the office is located.

Hundreds of Chicago vehicle owners patiently queued up Friday morning, the last business day to buy a city sticker before last year’s stickers expire on Sunday.

The same scenario was playing itself out at City Hall and other finance department and City Clerk satellite locations across the city Friday, with some people waiting up to two hours according to city employees.

“I didn’t know the lines would be this long,” Northwest Side resident Oscar Smith said as he waited to buy his sticker at the Addison office. “I think it’s kind of crazy.”

“This is disgusting,” railed Santo Pompilio, who also lives on the Northwest Side. “After all the money they get from city stickers we have to deal with this? I have five cars with the City of Chicago. All they want is money, money, money.”

Read more at DNA Info Chicago.

29 Responses to Drivers See Long Lines On ‘Last Day’ Of City Sticker Sales

How many of those people get that they could have ordered it on line the last 30 days? Or that the city started selling the new ones 2 weeks earlier than last year?

And Geek…

The Last Business Day of Sticker Sales at City Clerk offices like 2550 Addison is actually the 15th of July…since the 15 day grace period starts Monday.

3. David says:

Ordering on line may not be the best solution. I ordered mine at least three weeks ago and it has not yet arrived. I think that it really stinks that the City will fine you for “non-display” of the sticker even if you can prove that you ordered it WELL before the deadline.

Drew,

I know I’m splitting hairs here, but Friday was the last business day to purchase a city sticker before the city sticker expires…which is June 30th.

I believe, that’s how I wrote it.

David,

E-mail me if you feel you need someone to look into the delay in getting your city sticker.

I can connect you with people inside the City Clerk’s office who can assist. There are some seriously, super cool people that work behind the scenes there.

6. wanda says:

Is the City giving drivers tickets for non display of new city sticker prior to July 15th?

Wanda,

No, ticket writers are not supposed to ticket until July 16th.

We are, however; ticketing for Improperly Displayed City Sticker.

9. Jeff Mezydlo says:

Does that mean, if we are waiting for our 2014 city stickers to come in the mail, we need to take our 2013 stickers off today to avoid being ticketed for Improperly Displayed tickets prior to July 15?

I meant improperly displayed stickers, sorry.

11. Maricela says:

i purchased the city sticker yesterday June 30 and forgot to display it. I got a ticket today. Can I contest the ticket providing the receipt that I had purchased it?

12. Eligeorge says:

I second David’s complaint. I mailed in my renewal with a check on June 10. They haven’t even cashed the check, yet. I have no idea if it’s lost in the mail, or just lost in processing. Is there anyone at the Clerk’s Office that can at least confirm that they received my renewal?

Mailed back my city sticker form the very same day I got it in the mail. The sticker came last week and now it’s on my windshield. No waiting in line, no currency exchange ripoff fees, no online glithches. What the fuck is so hard about that. Sheeeeesh!!

14. David says:

My sticker finally arrived and has already been applied. Its in the bottom left corner of the windwhield (looking at the car) on the inside. So I hope its not improperly displayed.

This dumbass sure has a short memory. I’m sure he said the exact same thing last year as he stood in line the day before stickers expire.

People like Oscar are surprised when they get a ticket for this violation.

“Oh…I thought I had more time to procrastinate.”

Jeff,

If your old sticker is properly displayed, you will NOT need to remove it until your new sticker comes in the mail.

Don’t sweat it. I think “improperly displayed” is defined as not being in the correct place on your windshield or, perhaps multiple city stickers.

Most ticket writers won’t issue tickets for having multiple city stickers. A few do, because technically, the city sticker must be placed in the lowest portion of the right side of your windshield (from the perspective of sitting in the driver’s seat…in other words, bottom left of your windshield if you’re standing outside the vehicle and looking at the car).

According to the City Clerk’s office, they are more concerned that you actually buy your city sticker and much less concerned if you have last year’s sticker on your car.

But, that being said, a few ticket writers do write tickets for this minor infraction of the law.

Maricela,

You MUST fight that parking ticket.

The grace period to purchase and/or display your sticker is until July 15th. You should NOT have been ticketed.

Fight it and you will win.

Eligeorge,

I recently spoke with the City Clerk’s office. They told me, to tell readers, not to panic if you have not received your city sticker yet. They are processing all the mail in renewals as quickly as possible and many are going out this weekend.

However, if you do not have your city sticker by July 10th, call the City Clerk’s office and they will assist you.

Jeff,

You know what, you’re right, it’s not that hard.

I went online last Saturday night to renew and am being told by my friends at the City Clerk’s office, I should have it Saturday or Monday in the mail.

There are so many options to get your city sticker, even late in the game, that no one should have to stand in line.

The only thing I will take issue with you is about Currency Exchanges. I’m telling you, that $5.50 to renew your city sticker or license plate sticker is well worth it for the person who, for whatever reason, needs to get either item on their car in a hurry.

I got my renewal from the Sec. of State for my vehicle late one year and I needed to use a Currency Exchange because I couldn’t get down to an SOS office in time. To me, spending the $5.50 was worth it to prevent getting a ticket for an expired plate.

Just saying.

David,

That sounds right to me.

Geek and Maricela,

There is no grace period for display of a purchased city sticker if you took the Old one off and never put the new one On.

Since PEA’s take pictures for this violation…the citation is for “No City Sticker Displayed” with the comment of “Verified by Sec State.”

We are not writing for Expireds until Tuesday.

Drew,

I understand, and agree with your assessment.

However, I am betting the current city sticker grace period we’re in, may inject some cover or confusion for Maricela to leverage herself a dismissal.

If the comment you mention is not on the ticket, she may have a chance to beat the ticket.

I’m not saying it’s right–I’m just explaining how the ticket may be defeated.

I get that Geek..

We are cleaning up on Improper Display tickets this month already.

People are leaving the sticker forms on the Dash…and not applying it to the windshield.

Instant Non-Dismissable 30.00 ticket. Photographic evidence.

Stop making it so damn easy Chicago.

25. David says:

We are not writing for Expireds until Tuesday.

My comment: Tuesday is the 9th. I thought we had until the 15th.

Apologies…

Forgot the date.

Yes, Tuesday the 16th is what I meant.

27. Iris Sanchez says:

I bought my sticker June 1st and forgot to display the darn thing. It is now october! ( I know its been long, but I honestly forgot) Can I contest this ticket if I have my receipt?

Iris,

You’re killing me here! I’m sorry, but I think you don’t stand a chance in hell of beating this. The receipt will not do anything for you. The law says you must display the sticker–not just buy it.

My advice would be to pay the fine before it doubles. Sorry.

Is there a photo of the violation with the ticket? If so you’re screwed but if not then it seems like the appeal with a receipt MIGHT stand a chance.

In any case an appeal will win you about a month extension of the due date if nothing else.