Semi-Trailer Gets Stuck Under Bucktown Viaduct

One truck driver had a difficult Friday afternoon after getting his semi-trailer wedged under a viaduct in Bucktown

A semi-trailer lodged beneath a Metra viaduct slowed traffic in Bucktown Friday afternoon.

It took crews more than an hour to dislodge the truck from the viaduct on Webster Street, just east of Damen and the Kennedy Expressway in Bucktown.

The truck, heading eastbound on Webster, passed under the I-90/94 viaduct without incident but became lodged beneath the viaduct supporting the Union Pacific Northwest Metra line. Both signs, however, show a clearance of 12-foot-four.

The crash occurred at approximately 3:15 PM and had traffic blocked on Webster in both directions for just over an hour.

Alderman Scott Waguespack (32nd) along with ward staff and volunteers were on the scene helping detour traffic from the accident scene as no Chicago Police personnel responded to the incident.

Read more at DNA Info Chicago and definitely check out the photo gallery.

17 Responses to Semi-Trailer Gets Stuck Under Bucktown Viaduct

Whoops! That will ruin your day.

2. MRL says:

That’s right by my house — happens about a dozen times a year. This one looks worse than others I’ve seen, though.

Of Course no CPD showed up.

It’s a No Injury Accident. The Cops tell everyone when you call for this sort of thing…we don’t come to the scene for this….come to the station so we can ticket you and do the accident report.

Assisting in an Accident of this magnitude is Community Policing 101 in my opinion.

As much as I respect Scott and his staff…they should have had CDOT and METRA come in during his first year of office and raise that Bridge by 5 feet. Could be done in 1 day with the right planning.

4. Do you think the bridge is really 12′-4″ as the sign purports?

DoR,

I believe I agree with you. There should have been squads on hand blocking traffic. What if Ward 32 staff and the Alderman was not there to direct traffic? It would have been more chaotic than it already was–chaotic and unsafe.

CPD is way too understaffed to deal with piddly issues like traffic tieups. They are much too busy issuing parking tickets, speeding tickets, cellphone tickets, jaywalking tickets, and other compliance tickets. Lets hear it for for-profit law enforcement!

7. David says:

@Pete.
    Speeding tickets, cellphone tickets and jaywalking tickets actually are quite important. They serve an important part of public safety. Certainly you would not advocate driving drunk (actually, from your other comments, while you wouldn’t advocate driving drunk, you apparently don’t think that the rule should apply to you. So maybe you don’t think Drunk driving is a problem). Yet the studies all say that a person on a cellphone is operating their motor vehicle with the same degree of impairment as a drunk driver. Speeding is a similar problem. A pedestrian hit by a car going 20 mph has a much higher probability of surving than a pedestrian hit by a car going 40 mph. Jaywalking tickets? You cry and cry about the bad pedestrians in the “ghetto” and yet you challenge the issuance of jaywalking tickets as a nuisance. I am unaware of any jaywalking tickets being issued. The Police don’t enforce this law. They don’t have time.

The real problem faced by the police is the gun problem which has diverted the police resources from almost anything other than gun crime. Strong and effective NATIONAL gun control is important.

I can’t remember the last time I saw a CPD pull someone over for Jaywalking or Speeding in this city…

Bike on a Sidewalk? Only time a Cops fucks with someone for that is if they work for My department. Only time I’ve ever seen compliance tickets from CPD is July for City Stickers or 018/001 cause they are bored during the 6am to 7pm shifts.

Cop’s don’t do parkers or movers or ANOV’s if the person isn’t Revenue. They love to go “do you know who I am?” or “Do you know who I work for?”

Gimme CCW and the Right to carry at work.

David,

While I don’t like to stray too far off the subject matter of this site, I wanted to point out a few things regarding gun control.

1-There’s tons of evidence that seems to indicate a strong relationship between conceal and carry and decreasing crime. This is not anecdotal either, but rather hard data. Economist John Lott has been studying this for years. He started out agnostic on the subject and has, due to the data, become a firm believer in the relationship between less gun control and decreasing crime.

2-If gun control is so effective, why, in the city with the most stringent gun control laws, located in the only state that does not currently have a conceal and carry law on the books, is Chicago swimming in gun related killings?

3-There is no law on the books or that could have been written that would have stopped what happened at Newtown.

In my opinion, the only thing that would have stopped that disturbed individual at Newtown was someone else with a firearm.

4-A few other fun facts.

*Do you know the common denominator for very mass school shooting from Columbine to the present (save one)? All of these schools were gun free zones. (Again, I believe a teacher with a gun at Newtown would have saved more precious lives by taking the life of that madman).

*More people are killed last year with hammers and other blunt objects, than rifles.

*More children are killed drowning in pools than with firearms.

*Violent crime has been decreasing for years. Curiously, conceal and carry has been adopted in more and more states over roughly the same period of years. Wisconsin became the 49th state to adopt conceal and carry last year. Illinois is the only state without conceal and carry on the book.

*More people are killed in car crashes nationally than in gun related deaths.

*Many police officers support conceal and carry.

*Some of the first gun control laws in the country were drafted to keep guns out of the hands of black people. Some people in the south were worried that some angry black people, if they got their hands on guns, would rise up against their oppressors.

*At my kids’ school they have an off duty cop hired for security. He has a gun. I’m very happy that he does.

5-I do NOT own a gun. Although, as someone who cherishes the U.S. Constitution, I’m strongly considering joining the NRA in light of what seems to be a movement to infringe upon the rights of Americans protected by the 2nd Amendment.

I guess the point in all my blathering here David is that, in my opinion, gun control has never worked to keep the guns out of the hands of criminals. It only puts a further burden on legal gun owners and perhaps puts more lives at risk than with moderately restrictive gun laws.

I apologize for getting off track here, but I sincerely believe the problems of violence and specifically gun violence in our society are complex and there is no panacea that will cure all these ills via legislation.

10. Torch Wood says:

Quick question: Was the truck driver using a consumer GPS system or a commercial/trucker GPS?

11. david says:

My comment: And there’s lots of evidence tying Concealed Carry to shootings of the person carrying the gun. I’ll concede that concealed carry worked in the wild west. In today’s society, safety quickly is tied to the temper of the person carrying the gun.

My comment: Because the gun control isn’t effective for areas outside of the city. In order for gun control to work, it needs to be national in nature and effective. Gun control in Chicago and easy gun purchases in Indiana is a devil’s brew.

My comment: A law making the possession of private firearms would most certainly stopped the shooting at Newtown. The shooter had easy and unrestricted access to numerous weapons. It was made easy.

My comment:
    Or some well locked doors, or a system that stopped the disturbed person from getting the gun. Can some one go crazy and kill people without a gun? Sure. But is a lot harder.

4-A few other fun facts.

My comment. And a teacher with a gun who goes postal and starts shooting their students? Or a student that breaks into a classroom which is unoccupied during the school day and takes the teacher’s gun? The idea of putting guns into schools is unacceptable. I don’t know how many people you know killed by guns. I knew 5 people…. one was 13 and shot by a friend playing with a gun, one was my 6th grade teacher who accidentally shot himself with a gun that he had at home for protection, one shot himself 6 years after he accidentally shot one of his 13 year old friends with a gun. And two were killed in Duck Hunting accidents. And I know of one person, a military officer, who was held at gunpoint, his own gun, when the bad guy broke into his house. I know no one who “protected” themselves with a gun.

My comment: Nope. The FBI Crime Stats say 67% of homicide victims were killed by firearms. 4% were killed by the general category which includes Hammers.

*More children are killed drowning in pools than with firearms.

My comment: Yawn. The purpose of guns is to shoot people. The purposes of pools is not to drown children. That’s a good reason for better drown proofing of pools… which is the problem with the long (and cut) list of anecdotal evidence.

My comment: The activist Roberts Supreme Court has ignored a large part of the language in the 2nd Amendment. Under the NRA’s bizarre argument, it would be okay for a home owner to own a claymore mine, a tank, a fully armed Apache Attach Helicopter, or a tactical nuclear weapon as all are arms and all can be used to “rise up against the government to keep it honest”. The NRA argument is that the founding fathers intended their citizens to commit treason (the taking of arms against the Government) and created the 2nd Amendment to protect this right. That this goes against the actual practice of the founding fathers and the actual purpose of the amendment is irrelevant.

My comment. We have NEVER had effective gun control in the US. In those places in the World that have effective gun control, the murder rates have dropped. And gun owners and the NRA seem to believe that ANY restrictions are not moderate. I’ll readily concede that the Country will not accept real full and complete gun control, but I’ll be happy to see a real first step.

Torch Wood,

I don’t know if the truck driver was using a GPS system. Good question though.

David,

1-If you re-read my comment of hammers vs. firearms, I said “rifles” not the more general term “guns”.

And yes, there are more homicides committed with hammers and other blunt objects than rifles.

The point is, the dominant discussion is on trying to “assault weapons” which are rifles. Based on the numbers, the nation should be up in arms over banning hammers, not “assault” weapons.

2-Sorry to hear about the people you know killed with guns. That makes me very sad, but doesn’t change my opinion.

Mainly because I know two people who have used firearms to scare off intruders. One was a young woman living in Wicker Park when it was a lot rougher (re-hipsters). She was anti-gun until she was attacked one night and nearly raped. She then got training, purchased a gun and was able to protect herself from someone who broke into her apartment.

I grew up with guns in my home. I never knew where they were. I know they were locked up safely. My dad taught my three brothers and I how to safely handle firearms. I have a profound respect for their power due to my dad’s training. From your stories, it sounds like in a few instances there were homes where family members had not been taught proper gun safety.

3-You’re being a bit naive with the idea of not having guns in schools.

4-David, I can’t help be a little frightened by your talk of banning all guns. History teaches us this is not a good idea. IE: Hitler’s Germany, Stalin’s Russia, Mao’s China, etc. to the tune of nearly 60 million dead.

I’ll take a few accidental gun deaths over the chance of the government turning against it’s citizens. 60 million dead (formerly disarmed) humans due to genocide can’t be wrong.

5-If you really want to ban all guns, then you want to repeal the 2nd Amendment. If that’s what American citizens want to do, have at it and I encourage you to go through that process. Outside that, the banning of guns is absolutely UN-Constitutional. I’m very much hoping you don’t feel it would be proper to pass legislation at opposition with the Constitution.

6-All this anti-NRA rhetoric has convinced me to become an NRA member this evening.

Despite my strong disagreements with your point of view, I appreciate the intelligent dialogue David.

Mike

How predictable that David would oppose the proven crime reduction that concealed carry would bring. I suppose he thinks that if we hire enough cops to have one on every street corner that will make the city safe. Or better yet, we can ban guns and criminals will surely turn theirs in!

Nothing horrifies people like David more than individual citizens being able to take care of themselves and not being as dependent on big brother government.

Hey David, why do the 49 other states that have some form of concealed carry ALL have lower murder rates than Chicago?

15. What is wrong with you people says:

@David
    I am sure you are a nice guy, but you seem to be a little everywhere on things. You are apparently very strict on people obeying the laws here “Speeding tickets, cellphone tickets and jaywalking tickets actually are quite important…”, but argue for illegals getting licenses and being here. I will say that most of the commenters here seem a fair bit right of center and I would not want to be their neighbors, but you seem to be cherry picking the laws you wish others to obey. Much like a good cake, consistency is key.

p.s. I love you (It’s Valentine’s Day)

16. David says:

Sigh. IMMIGRATION is a Federal Responsibility. The regulation of drivers is a State responsibility. The States have no business being involved in the regulation of immigration. It has the potential for impacting on U.S. external relations. I want Drivers licenses for all drivers because I want to see drivers properly regulated. Again, NO ONE has identified any downside to providing licenses to “illegal aliens”. What’s the downside?

David you are 100% correct there.

Immigration IS a Federal Responsibility.

However, at the State and Local level; it is the Municipalities responsibility to assist the Federal governmental agencies in charge of Enforcing Immigration Laws. Not get in their way and declare by fiat a “Sanctuary City” policy like what Rahm and Daley and Prekwinkle have done over the last 22 years.

The ONLY thing about the DL program for Illegals that I like is that it Helps the Police Know they got an Illegal after a DL Check for whatever Moving Violation they were pulled over for.

While it is not prohibited to sell an Auto Insurance Policy to an Illegal in this country…one of course has to be a legally licensed Driver first to obtain it. And therein lies the problem.

Most illegals, drivers license or not; are not going to stick around and wait for the Cops or willingly drive to the closest Police District station to file an accident report…their fault or not. Thus the Licensed and Insured driver (generalization here) is screwed when they file a claim…However under Illinois Code “725 ILCS 5/107-3 Arrest by Private Person” Citizens arrest in Illinois stipulates Felony and Misdemeanors as well as Traffic violations of the Illinois Vehicle code). This excludes Ordinance Violations (like City Stickers or RPP or things like that). Specifically a violation of Illinois statutes ONLY. And you are only allowed to Detain until the Police Show UP. You must call the Police.

Thus, if you ever get into an accident, if you are not disabled by the accident, immediately write down the Plate #, Make, model (if you can tell), and color of the vehicle. If you have a Camera Phone, take a picture of the Driver and email it to yourself.

Protect yourself and your assets.

OH….Keep in mind…Citizens Arrest is a power of everyone. Including Non-Police City Ticketwriters.