Don’t Get Tricked Into Paying Someone Else’s Parking Ticket

The driver of the vehicle listed in the ticket above tried to get someone else to pay their fine

Do not fall for this trick.

The other day, I saw a parking ticket on the windshield of an acquaintance’s car and brought it to their attention.

Since their vehicle was parked perfectly legally, their response was predictably, “What the hell?!?”

After checking out the ticket, we thought the ticket writer had really screwed up. The license plate was wrong. The vehicle make was wrong. The violation was for an expired parking meter, but the driver had a legitimate disabled parking placard so that didn’t seem right. What the heck was going on?

Then the heavy hand of realization smacked us across the face.

The evil driver who had actually received the parking ticket had slapped the bright orange envelope on another person’s car hoping and praying that driver would not check the details on the violation and just pay the $50 fine.

Rumors about this type of trick has popped up a few times before. But this type of scumbaggery was chalked up as a rarity, perhaps something akin to a Bigfoot or UFO sighting.

But maybe it’s not that rare after all.

The takeaway from this incident is to always read your parking ticket carefully.

Because, first and foremost, if the ticket writer made any errors filling out the violation (wrong date, time, location of the violation, make, license plate or license plate expiration) it can be grounds for dismissal when contested.

Secondly, as evidenced by the above case, drivers need to make sure they are not paying another driver’s ticket.

In other words, be careful out there.

18 Responses to Don’t Get Tricked Into Paying Someone Else’s Parking Ticket

1. Alan Miller says:

Does the city allow paying tickets online, or is there at least hope that the person who so kindly passed this along will end up stuck with a doubled ticket cost?

2. Alan Miller says:

Bah, never mind, perhaps I should actually look at the photo first.

You could always write a really really nasty and abusive letter, place it in the ticket envelope and mail it in. The ticketed douchebag driver would then have many more tickets to look forward to, as they find themselves ticketed for parking in handicap spots in neighborhoods they’ve never been to.

Bad man Pete…get out of my head.

I am more of a different viewpoint on this one.

Tear up the ticket…throw it out…let the thing double…douche can deal with it when the notices start to show up and then has to try to explain how the ticket ‘wasn’t on the vehicle.’

And yes Alan….you can pay tickets online. Geek has a Link for it.

Alan,

Parking tickets can be paid online.

Pete!

I REALLY like your thinking!

FYI, the ticket for this story is the ticket in question.

“Bad man Pete…get out of my head.”

DoR! You’re making me choke with laughter!

8. JP says:

The LEXUS owner can’t pay the $50 parking ticket they racked up because they shorted the meter? That’s sad.

Hopefully the douche who ownes the Lexus will end up with so many tickets that his car ends up getting, booted, towed, and crushed.

I bet that lexus got 2 or 3 tickets today just because.

Here’s a bit of an update.

We’ve been able to confirm the vehicle is registered to an address in the heart of Lincoln Park.

I hate to stereotype but…Lexus owner living in Lincoln Park acting like a jerk? Who would have guessed?!?

This story makes a little bit more sense now.

Tag this story under a newly created category of Extreme Douchebaggery.

Geek:

Love to see obnoxious Lexus owners get what’s coming to them. During the blizzard of 2011, some douche-nozzle in a Lexus SUV decided that he was too important to wait for the 3 feet of drifted snow to be plowed off of our narrow side street. Of course, “Road-King” got himself stuck real good, and was still there hours later. Made some popcorn while I watched from my apartment window and laughed my ass off.

Jeff

Jeff,

Your story of Karmic justice warms my (too often) evil little heart.

15. Greg says:

I hate to be judgmental, but why is it that any Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc, always seems to be massively driving over the speed limit?

16. TC says:

It could have easily been a person walking down the street that took the ticket off the Lexus and put it on the other car knowing that the second car owner would throw the ticket away and therefore completely screwing the Lexus owner who would never have seen the ticket at all…not that I did anything like that before hahaha

17. Rev Rotunda says:

I own a vehicle that is in dual ownership with my Son who has the same name as his Father/has been deceased since 2003. When my Son was rectifying old parking tickets with the City of Chicago’s Dept. of Revenue over the phone due to his driver’s license being suspended as a result of so-called unpaid parking tickets in excess of 10, he was given a list of parking tickets that had to be paid. Obviously the parking tickets were then paid in order to be in a valid driver’s license status. As it turned out, these parking tickets belonged to my Son’s deceased Father (they were very old & had said deceased Father’s driver’s license number on the print-out). The bottom line is that my Son’s driver’s license was suspended in error as both he & his deceased Father have the same name, but the parking tickets were paid in order to be lifted from a suspended driver’s license status. My Son did not know at the time these parking tickets belonged to his deceased Father–the Dept. of Revenue insisted these are the tickets that need to be paid in order to satisfy your debt and re-gain valid driver’s license status. Since these parking tickets were not my Son’s debt, is there anything that can be done to secure a refund? These parking tickets were in excess of $1,000.00.

Going to need a few things…

Death certificate of the father
    Document from Sec State that lists deceased individuals last valid Drivers license
    Vehicles owned by deceased that the tickets were received by.
    A list of all license plates for said vehicles.

Current most recent DL number of son.

Time and patients.