CBS 2 Covers Speed Cam Testing Start

CBS 2 covers the start of Chicago’s speed camera pilot testing this past Monday on Division near Ashland and Milwaukee.

8 Responses to CBS 2 Covers Speed Cam Testing Start

1. nonya says:

Love Bill using air quotes around “safety zones”.

2. Andrew says:

Mike – Has it been determined WHERE this $20-$30 million in revenue from the Speed Cameras will be allotted to in the budget?

3. Mike says:

I wouldn’t shed a tear if these things or red light cameras had technical difficulties of an aggressive nature.

This city sucks!!

We need to start referring to these as “Revenue Zones”, since that is what they are all about.

5. DoR Emplyee says:

In all fairness, there are areas in this city where people drive too darn fast just because.

But there are also main through ways that need to have their speed limits either Posted or even adjusted to 35 or 40.

Now, having said that…the city needs to drop the whole “It’s for the Children” act.

This is about enforcement AND the money.

These cameras wouldn’t have ever been suggested if this city actually had a Police Department that was universally trained on LASER and RADAR speed guns and actually pulled people over for speeding in the first place.

In the residential areas around schools and parks…I don’t mind so much the concept of speed cameras since it is apparently too difficult for the city to design and install speed bumps that Work.

On streets like western and California and Wilson and Madison …the major streets… I’d be more inclined (if I were king so to speak) have the cameras on from 7am to 9am and from 2pm to 4pm (the usual drop off and pickup times for most schools in Chicago. For the Parks…during the parks hours of operation only…9am to 11pm if I recall right.

DoR,

You overwhelm me with your common sense.

Too bad the Mayor isn’t listening.

While I have major issues with the speed cams, if they had to exist, they should be activated during those times when kids are going to, and coming from school. Any other time is BS within the context of protecting kids.

Andrew,

I have not looked at the budget that closely. I just know the city is counting on the revenue from speed cameras for this year’s budget. The revenues from speed cams is supposed to go toward improving safety of children and I believe for after school programs for kids if memory serves.

8. Andrew says:

Thanks DoR and Mike (Parking Ticket Geek) for your insight!