Video: Cops, PEAs & Parking Tickets

This video is a bit challenging to watch due to it’s unintended Blair Witch Project shakiness.

Perhaps the amateur videographer is irate. At least that’s the impression we get.

From our interpretation of the video, (albeit based on a minute and a half of low quality video) a man parked his car and his wife ran into a store to get quarters to pay for metered parking.

He explains this to the Parking Enforcement Aide getting ready to ticket his car, and to a police officer who’s inside his squad car adjacent to the driver’s vehicle.

The PEA says to the police officer the driver has been sitting in the car on the phone. But the driver claims he was sitting in his car waiting for his wife to come back from the 7-11.

“We can’t wait for y’all to come out of the store with quarters…” says the PEA as she issues a $50 ticket anyway.

8 Responses to Video: Cops, PEAs & Parking Tickets

1. Capt M-Plate says:

Ah this is a fun one.

First off, it is an Urban Myth that a meter ticket can Not be issued to occupied vehicles.

Now…personally…I wouldn’t have written the ticket. BUT….the biggest scam comments we hear these days about meters are “Oh I was gone for change/I was only here for a few minutes/why does it matter, city doesn’t own the meters.”

Since Pay Boxes take Plastic as well as Coins, “gone for change” is less of an excuse than it used to be.

Looking at the make of the Vehicle…I doubt the owner didn’t have plastic. They even take Pre-Paid VISA/MC/AMEX. I won’t speculate on anything else.

There is no reason why a meter ticket SHOULD be issued to an occupied vehicle.

3. Capt M-Plate says:

Pete….it’s a Pay to Park location.

City Municipal Policy is that you pay the meter regardless of who has the Concessionaire contract.

You get to take the time with you when you leave and can use it on any pay box location that has the same time rate per hour.

I am not debating the propriety of issuing a meter ticket to an occupied vehicle here…but what is to stop people from always leaving a minor child or other passenger in a vehicle on a pay box location and never paying?

Pay the box. Waste 25 cents to run into 7-11.

Yeah…I’m not sure if we got the whole story from this one minute and 38 second of video.

I would have just walked over toward the box, fumbled with my wallet and “credit card” and at least made an attempt to get a meter receipt.

I find politely and respectfully given a PEA a wave or a heads up if I see them on the street while I’m getting out of my parked car. That way, there’s almost no chance you can get a ticket.

There have been frequent media reports of motorists (including reports on this website) getting tikcets while they were actually paying the meter. Once again a Chicago infrastructure project turns out be a penny-ante Ponze scheme

No surprise that some shady meter maids ticket people before they’ve had a chance to get the meter receipt on their dashboard. According to the law, this is a valid ticket and would no doubt be upheld on appeal. The law gives no grace period on an expired meter and there is nothing written into the law that gives someone a set amount of time to pay the meter. You are technically “in violation” as soon as you pull into a metered spot, unless you somehow obtain a valid receipt and display it before pulling in.

7. TheAngryChicagoan says:

If you’re in the car then by the definition in the law you are “standing” you are not “parking”; feel free to look at the code. And you should be able to use that as a defense.

8. Debillw3 says:

I know I’m a couple years late, but it seems to me that there are 2 questions that nobody’s asking, yet are instead making assumptions about:

1) Was the guy in the driver’s seat?
    2) Was the car running?

I’m too lazy to look at the code, but I’m sure, based upon common sense, that those 2 elements would play a role in what determines standing vs parking.

I find it hard to believe that someone simply sitting in a vehicle, regardless of which seat they’re in or if the car is completely turned off, would make that a standing vehicle rather than a parked vehicle.

Even if we concede that laws don’t always bear common sense, we can’t concede that they’d get a lot less revenue from tickets with such a glaring loophole, thus making it highly unlikely that such a loophole exists.