License And Registration, Por Favor?

Chicago Aldermen Push To Allow Illegal Immigrants To Obtain Driver’s Licenses

It’s just a suggestion.

That is, the resolution 28 Chicago City Council members signed last Thursday asking the Illinois General Assembly to allow illegal immigrants to obtain state driver’s licenses.

There are an estimated 250,000 illegals residing within Illinois according to the Chicago Reporter in reporting this story.

Current state law does not allow illegal immigrants to obtain a legal state driver’s licenses and if pulled over by law enforcement, can be reported to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and possibly deported.  Since 2007, over 8,006 illegal aliens have been deported out of the Chicago enforcement region according to data from ICE.

According to the Sun-Times coverage of the city council’s resolution, this type of policy decreases the number of uninsured motorists on the roads of states which have move forward with this idea–a positive trend to be sure.

A move to allow illegals to acquire state driver’s licenses has been defeated several times since 2001 in Illinois. Although, with President Obama’s recent executive order preventing the deportation of children who were brought to the U.S. illegally by their parents and allowing them to obtain Social Security numbers, the landscape may be changing on this issue.

California, New Mexico and Washington are a handful of states which allow undocumented immigrants to get their license. Other states like Texas, Arizona and Nebraska are expressly against this practice. While several Midwest states like Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and yes, Illinois seeming to be moving toward allowing driver’s license to illegals–at least according to a report by WBEZ.

While the gentle prodding of last Thursday’s signed resolution by Chicago aldermen may help speed the process to write the change into state law, the Illinois Secretary of State says it would issue a driver’s license to anyone who could produce valid Social Security documentation.

“As long as the Social Security Administration issues an individual with a Social Security number, and they have the other documents that are required under Illinois law, then they can apply for a driver’s license,” said Henry Haupt, spokesman for Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White, who oversees that state’s driver licensing.

Here’s the Chicago’s Reporter piece on this issue, “Chicago Aldermen sign resolution to push for undocumented immigrants to receive driver’s licenses.”

12 Responses to License And Registration, Por Favor?

There is One reason and one reason only that this was suggested by this cities aldermen….

They want the illegal vote…and they can’t get it until they can get around the DL statute.

I was damn near run over by a Chiquita on Cermack near Western a few years ago and flagged down a cop to do something about it…neither of us were shocked to find the bimbo didn’t have a DL or insurance despite having a city sticker.

So I say a resounding “fuck no” to this one and will actively action against it in my ward.

2. Icarus says:

I would only agree to this if in order to get their license, they had to attend mandatory driver’s ed classes. Yes, I’ll even subsides through taxes to pay for it to protect from predatory instructors.

I cannot tell you how many times I’ll arrive at a 3 or 4 way stop and it seems like some drivers stop for a micro second and then drive through regardless of which car got to the intersection first. I suspect a good portion of these offenders lack the rudimentary understanding of the complex driving protocols.

3. david says:

Drew wrote:

My comment:
    No. You’re not a racist. Its not a voting issue. Its a regulatory issue and will likely reduce uninsured driving and pursuits. If a driver without a license is about to get pulled over, he or she is far more likely to flee in some form of a high speed chase – particularly if they are also likely to be arrested for some other crime. In contrast with a license, they have far less reason to refuse to comply with a request to pull over. There are good ways to go after “illegal” immigrants (although the whistle speak for illegal immigrant is “illegal immigrant of color”, ignoring the fact that there are lots of illegal immigrants not of color)but refusing to give them driver’s licenses isn’t one of them…. Go play in traffic you vile racist.

David, Drews particular example aside, the point is valid.

I read the story the Geek linked and the first thing I thought was ” the woman has been in Chicago long enough to have kids in Chicago schools, why hasn’t she applied for a residency permit from immigration?”

Or a work permit and use her DL from her origin country?

Color aside, the illegals don’t deserve a US Drivers license from the state they are visiting. And I say visiting, because they are doing nothing to support the local, state or federal infrastructure with taxes. I fear that I will get into an accident with someone that doesn’t have a DL and insurance (since you can’t get insurance without the DL)… Cause my insurance is on the hook for costs even if it isn’t my fault at that point.

The “give me your tired, your poor, your huddling masses tearing to be free” is still something I will defend to my dying breath. But get a green card please otherwise “keep off the grass!”

5. david says:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I don’t see any “downside” to providing them with a license to drive and lots and lots of “upside”. The purpose of a driver’s license is to regulate the roadways, not to control immigration or provide an ID for other purposes or to facilitate voting. Providing an ID doesn’t give an illegal alien a “different” status. What it does do, however, is provide the state a method of confirm insurance and to reduce the incentive for the driver to “run” if pulled over by the Police. If it only stops a few high speed chances, it may have saved lives.

What is the “downside” to providing the license?

David, etal,

I will tell you I’m really confused on this issue. For a person like myself with LOTS of strong opinions, I surprisingly don’t have even a mild opinion on this one. I can argue it both ways. Overall, we need some sort of reform of our immigration and alien worker rules. I’m not even going to say I know how this is accomplished.

I may be leaning toward David’s point of view from the perspective of having more insured drivers on the road. I hear too many stories of someone involved in an accident with an illegal who is not licensed or has insurance. It’s not fair for the insured driver’s insurance company to get hit with the bill and the driver probably having their rates go up even if the other driver was at fault.

7. david says:

It probably will not have a great deal of impact on uninsured motorists. That really has to be tied closer to plates and the insurance, at least with respect to third parties, really must run from the car no matter who is driving it. My question is more along the lines of “what is the downside” from providing the licenses. I can’t come up with any. The primary argument against it appears to mostly be a visceral “they are here illegally, they shouldn’t have the right to drive” argument. The thing is that they are not legal drivers either and that hasn’t stopped them. And just like the Death Penalty makes it more dangerous for the police, if they are an illegal driver without a license, any incentive that they may have to pull over is eliminated.

As for immigration reform, that’s a real messy mix of problems. It has been for a long long time. But my relatives let most of you in (after forcing their way in in the early 1700′s) and one could argue that it isn’t fair to close the door now that you are here. That being said, lots of illegal immigrants with “fraudulent” social security are helping the solvency of the system. They pay in and have no prospects of collecting payments. (the same reason, I guess, that you shouldn’t discourage smoking in a private health insurance system…. it cuts down on social security payments…)

Geek, et al…

My limited knowledge on Drivers Licensing laws aside, as I recall from my various trips to Europe and Canada, there is such a thing called an International Drivers license…which I recall can be issued by your home country of origin at the same time you apply for your Passport.

I had to have one to rent and drive in France and Germany back in the 90′s…

And I seem to recall that the US is a signatory of the UN Charter to grant reciprocity to all UN member nations that issue the international DL. For that matter…take into account the young mom featured in the story that the Geek linked.

Lets presume she is a Mexican national (just to pick a country)…legality of residency aside… She should presumably be able to go to the consulate to renew her nationally or regionally issue Drivers License and get a new one on site (assuming of course she has her home countries passport and it is current/valid).

As a result there is no excuse to Not have a DL…and residency status in the US isn’t an excuse for illegal operation of a motor vehicle without proper documentation.

9. Mike says:

Illinois voted Democrat and this is what it gets in return. Now watch as all the illegals get a drivers license and now can vote illegally a heck of a lot easier. I can’t wait until my company decides to move out of this bankrupt state.

10. David says:

@ mike.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way to China. Instead of responding with he normal right wing reaction, explain how a drivers license, in any way, promotes illegal voting. Explain how, in any way, drivers license ones anything at all. A drivers license has never ever been proof of citizenship or status. It is proof of identity. In the mandatory INS paperwork, which I doubt you have seen from your mother’s basement, it is insufficient. A passport is one of the few documents that serves both purposes.

David….when was the last time you renewed your DL at a SOS Office?

They ask you to Register to Vote when your getting your DL up to date. And they Refuse to ask for SSN or other Citizenship proof.

I’m 50% Native American….so I’m going to go out on a limb and say you probably don’t have INS documents.

If you don’t have a Green Card, a Work VISA or a US Birth Certificate with at least 1 US Citizen on it as the parent…I don’t want you here any longer than you need to be for your Vacation

And your Country of Origin doesn’t matter to me. Mexico or Ukraine or Bosnia or Ireland or Wales or Poland or Liberia….get papers and apply for citizenship….not many get turned down…it just takes time.

12. john gray says:

David and david need hugs…