Sunday City Sticker Deadline Approaching Fast

Have you purchased your city sticker yet?

Depending on when you read this, there are just hours before Chicago car owners must have their 2012-2013 city vehicle sticker purchased and displayed on their windshield.

That final deadline is Sunday, July 15th. Drivers have until 11:59 Sunday night to take care of this.

Friday, City Clerk office locations and other City Revenue offices had long lines of procrastinators waiting close to an hour to get their city stickers.

At City Hall, City Clerk Susana Mendoza spent some time helping expedite constituents and calm a few irate individuals.

While most people in line seemed resigned to their plight, a few procrastinators were angry for the long wait despite the fact they decided to wait until the very last day of municipal sales.

But even these last minute lines seemed down in number compared to last year.

“It’s not as bad as in previous years,” agreed City Clerk spokesperson Kristine Williams. “The lines are not as long.”

Williams, reiterated that vehicle owners who do not purchase and display their city sticker before the end of day Sunday risk a $200 fine per day and a $60 late fee to purchase the new city sticker.

At this late date it is still possible to purchase your city sticker via the over 400 neighborhood Currency Exchanges. Many Currency Exchanges are open 24 hours a day.

But, Currency Exchanges are expecting a busy day on Sunday.

“Definitely!,” said a cashier who only gave her name as Andrea, at the Kedzie-Elston Currency Exchange at 3510 N. Kedzie Ave. when asked if they were expecting long lines on Sunday. “Tomorrow we will have very long lines. Expect about a 10 minute wait.”

Down the street at the at the Kedzie-Irving Currency Exchange at 3158 W. Irving Park Rd. is also expecting long lines on Sunday.

“Tomorrow is the last day,” said a cashier who didn’t want to give her name Saturday night. “If you come, come early. If it’s near midnight and you’re stuck in line, you’ll have to pay the $60 late fee after midnight.”

23 Responses to Sunday City Sticker Deadline Approaching Fast

Hell with the procrastinators…its their own fault for waiting this long.

And the real procrastinators will be crying tomorrow when they get nailed.

And the scofflaws are in for a nasty surprise as well.

2. Kelly says:

I got mine at a Currency Exchange yesterday (maybe a one minute wait, and it was only a couple of blocks from my apartment) and applied it today. I can’t believe anyone waited in those long lines for 1-2 hours at official city locations. Avoiding the lines is completely worth the $5.50

Yeah, you could avoid both by purchasing online, but I didn’t have the money back then, and I don’t like the uncertainty — you can’t be sure it will come on time. For procrastinators like me, the Currency Exchange is the way to go.

3. Kelly says:

Also, the $260 penalty for missing the deadline is insane — someone who forgot would have to come up with $345 total. Sure, everyone should remember, but some people are disconnected from Chicago media and other reminders. There should be a penalty for forgetting, but not one that’s going to blow your family’s budget for weeks.

Less than 4 hours and 45 minutes

5. David says:

CPD jerks are already giving tickets — i just got a $200 ticket. I had already purchased my sticker but had not placed it on my window yet! jerks!!

6. Chitownbootman says:

CPD jerks? Til you need them right? Make copies of your reciept that you bought the sticker and contest the ticket. You might get lucky and beat it.

If he got a ticket before 12am July 16th…then yes…the CPD are being Jerks.

THIS is the Reason the CPD should not be allowed to carry handwritten Parking Ticket Books and should be MADE to carry Autocites to issue Parking and Vehicle Compliance Tickets like Street Cleaning and Rush Hour and City Sticker and Expired Plates or No Front Plate tickets.

If anyone got a Expired/No City Sticker Ticket with a Handwritten Time of 12am July 16th…

FIGHT THEM

And go to the District and file a CR on the Ticket writer….

But…photocopy the city and email it to the Geek…I will get him to email me a copy of the photo and I can give him info on what unit/district/officer badge number the CR needs to be filed against.

Autocites have the ability to be tracked for GPS location AND timestamp at the location. No way to Cheat.

Thank you DoR Employee! If you get a bogus ticket at midnight or before on July 16th, shoot me a copy with the details of your story.

info@theexpiredmeter.com

Thanks!

Kelly,

Currency Exchanges are a great resource if you’re in a hurry for a city sticker, plate sticker, notary, etc.

Paying the $5.50 fee for city and license plate stickers is totally worth the money not to wait, for the convenience and not to pay the gas money to go to the Secy of State or city office to purchase any of these items.

If any reader is being ticketed for these two violations, get to a Currency Exchange pronto before you get another ticket.

11. Kelly says:

Wow, I had no idea you could get plate stickers at the currency exchange. I’ve made some horrible trips to distant DMVs during winter (mine expire in January). Once, I was injured for weeks so I couldn’t drive, and I took two busses and walked to that DMV in the snow to get my new stickers. Never again though!

Kelly…Listen to the Geek..

Although….the only time you can’t use the Currency Exchange is when you need to take the Emissions Test first.

As much as I think the entire city sticker thing is a scam, I cannot feel the least bit sorry for someone who waited until 7/15 to get their sticker. Good God people, that’s just taking procrastination to a whole new level. And if you can’t afford $85, then you can’t afford a car. How do you even buy gas?

Yes, good point about the emissions test DoR. Totally forgot about that.

You can tell I have been driving newer cars that have been passing emissions tests. And when I say newer, I mean between 7-15 years old type of new.

Yeah, I’m pretty much with you hear Pete.

Sales for city stickers started in April online and May 1st for all other forms of sales. That’s over a month earlier than last year.

It’s hard to be sympathetic–especially this year.

16. Remedy says:

Used to love going near the main post office around midnight when the tax return deadline used to be April 15th. and could not believe the thousands of people who waited until midnight. Must be the same lazy ass people who wait until the last second to get their stickers and plates renewed.

Yeah, it’s pretty much the same Remedy.

18. Kelly says:

Pete, I’m not asking anyone to feel sympathy for me because I waited until the 15th — but sometimes people who can (barely) afford cars have inconsistent incomes for various reasons. I had a gap in my income in May, so I would have had to put the sticker on my credit card at 20% interest if I had bought it in May. Others may have unexpected emergency expenses that mean they can’t pay cash for the sticker when sales begin, and it makes sense to wait rather than putting it on a credit card.

19. Rebecca says:

I just got a ticket in the mail for “no city sticker” on July 1st, 8:25am. It was along with a ticket for expired temporary plates/registration. Ok – my bad on the plates, but I didn’t think they could give a ticket for the city sticker until the 16th?

Rebecca,

You are correct.

You should not have received that city sticker violation. July 15th was the last day to get your city sticker on your windshield.

Fight it! You should win.

21. Andy says:

Is it lawful to receive a ticket while parked in a private garage while I am out of town for an extended period of time. I purchased the sticker before my departure, never took the car out of the garage for several weeks, came home to two tickets a week apart.

The answer to your question Andy is…probably.

I would fight it.

Because your vehicle had not been on or driven on the public way for so long, you could make the argument that it was not technically in violation. You could make the argument it was in storage due to your extended stay out of town. In addition, the city sticker is for vehicles driving upon the public way.

I would argue it this way. You had last year’s city sticker on the car the last day you had driven it upon the public way before putting it into storage while you were out of town. When you got back, and before you drove it upon the public way, you put on your new city sticker.

Because the municipal code requires the city sticker on the car when it’s being driven on the public way, you were technically not in violation.

Try that. It may work, depending on the Administrative Law Judge you get.

23. [...] Expired Meter, the Chicago City Clerk’s office enforcement division is reporting an outstanding 58% increase in the total number of parking tickets issued during the six week period immediately following the July 15th city sticker grace period; [...]