City Tows 215 On First Night Of Parking Ban

While the city slept, a fleet of city tow trucks prowled the streets on the first night of Chicago’s winter overnight parking ban.

Unfortunately for 215 Chicago motorists, Streets & Sanitation tow truck operators took their car for trip to the auto pound.

This year’s first night tow total is down slightly from last year’s 235 vehicles.

The city has spent the last several weeks trying to get the word out via the media and even spent a few days fliering cars along all 107 miles of the streets impacted by the parking ban. But despite the media push and the permanent signs posted, a few hundred drivers still made a very expensive parking mistake.

“We see the same story every year,” laments Streets & Sanitation spokesperson Matt Smith. “For whatever reason some people just don’t get the message or take a calculated risk they’re not going to be towed. The goal is compliance.”

The tow will cost a motorist $160. Combined with a $50 ticket and the driver is out $210.

Tow trucks will be out in force again for the second night of the winter parking ban which lasts through April 1st.

“Tonight we will probably have the same amount (of tow trucks deployed),” says Smith who reiterates the importance of keeping these important arterial streets clear in case of a major snowstorm. “We’ll continue to tow cars in violation until they get the message.”

If your vehicle has been towed, you can call 311 or log onto the City of Chicago’s tow search website.

You can get more information on the ban and see a map of effected streets here.

11 Responses to City Tows 215 On First Night Of Parking Ban

1. M says:

Did I miss something? Was there 2 inches of snow last night in Chicago?

2. Dummy says:

It was for snow route 3am-7am…..regardless of snow….don’t you pay attention. The City will have to pass out fliers for people to actually move

3. Dummy says:

Geek will it be possible to show where these tickets were issued/wards?

4. patg says:

A quick 43K for the city. Probably didn’t pay for the cost of leasing the tow trucks for one night.

Dummy…

Remember…the City Did put out Fliers. The Media made announcements.

215 people Chose to play the odds.

215 x 210.00 = 45150.00 in Fines

Plus…if you happened to be on the Boot list as well, you have to take care of all outstanding Tickets I believe.

6. Dummy says:

I was being sarcastic, Dummy.

PatG-

I don’t know Pat, I think $43,000 for one night is probably pretty profitable. The city owns those trucks and uses them to enforce overnight winter parking until April 1st.

I’m confident S&S utilizes the tow trucks for more than just this specific enforcement.

Dummy,

I’m sure that ticket and tow data is FOIA-able.

Do you think the data would be enlightening? Are you hinting that someone should FOIA that info?

9. Anonymous says:

Beware. The Sun-Times had an article about the “snow or not” streets and Irving Park is supposedly not a “snow or not” street. I come home (on Irving Park) and someone scrawled a sign taped to the door saying his car was towed anyways. Assume ALL marked streets are “snow or not”!

10. Dummy says:

I’m hinting that the data is going to show which police districts took to task enforcement. Also, I’m going to go out on a limb and say the northside had more violaters. Thank you Geek.

Hmmmm…

Let me see what I can find out. No promises, but I’ll try to look into it. Thanks for the tip.