We Say Fight Back And ‘Dump The Junk’!

Right after I wrote my heated tirade on street junk the other night, as I lay in bed, I thought, there had to be a be a way to help frustrated city residents in stopping this stupidity.

At the same time, I don’t want to encourage direct confrontations if it will mean heated verbal or even physical confrontations.

So instead, I have a more passive aggressive approach to solving this problem.

We’re calling it our “Dump The Junk!” campaign. It’s our effort to help cure Chicago of this queer “tradition” of using lawn furniture, milk crates, and other junk to save a parking space in front of your house after digging out from a snowstorm.

This practice is stupid and filthy and needs to stop. Street parking is first come, first serve–no matter what the conditions, no matter if you shoveled out a spot.

We, at The Expired Meter, have designed two small informational posters,  that you can use to effectively communicate your feelings to your idiot neighbors, and encourage them to do the right thing.

It’s as easy as 1-2-3.

1-Just download the PDFs to your computer.

2-Using your computer printer, output as many as you need.

3-Spend a few moments outside tonight, taping these posters to your neighbor’s crap.

I would encourage  using duct tape as packing or Scotch tape will not stick when it’s cold.

The hope is, that your neighbors will read the message, take the hint, do the right thing and extract their crap from the street.

The first, entitled PLEASE, is forceful, forthright and polite.

The second, called HEY MORON!, is rude, antagonistic and belligerent.

I’ll leave it to you to decide which  one is best for you.

Perhaps, start out with the gentle and polite approach. If this doesn’t work, pull out the more aggressive alternative.

If this doesn’t work, call your aldreman and your local Streets & Sanitation office and whine, bitch, moan and complain.

Keep us posted on how this works.

Download  the “Dump The Junk!” fliers here.

Please.PDF

Hey Moron!.PDF

19 Responses to We Say Fight Back And ‘Dump The Junk’!

1. ipark says:

These signs are great…I sorta wish people put their crap in parking spaces in my neighborhood so I could use them! Keep up the good work PTG.

2. Renee Una says:

You are my hero.

3. Mark says:

I think it’s far more effective to just sweep your block of the junk by moving all of it to the alley by the dumpsters. That way no one can retaliate for someone parking in “their spot” because it will be obvious all the marked spots are gone and the block becomes first come first serve again. Usually this works because the people who mark their spots are forced to park in the next available one and they’ll get the message that this won’t be tolerated. Perhaps posting these signs on trees and sign poles after clearing the block might help as well. The best time to do this is during the day when most cars are gone.

I do wonder if there are any legal ramifications from doing this. Can the owners of the junk call the police and charge you with theft? I don’t know. If a situation like that goes to trial I”m sure that would that would certainly make the news — perhaps national news.

But I don’t think we’re getting any more big snows this year so this all might be academic.

Mark-

I think this is a pretty good strategy as well. I’ve employed it many times in the past myself. I may have to resort to it again.

The point of the posters is to try to communicate why this practice is bad and encourage people to change their behavior.

Otherwise, guys like you and me end up hauling crap off the street to the garbage year after year, winter after winter.

5. alberto says:

It would be far easier and less confrontational to snow shovel a few more spots on the block. For example, I snow shoveled my side of the street, then any other spot I had to use due to people parking in the spots I shoveled. At this point, both sides are shoveled and nobody can put their garbage on the street. Let’s do for others people.

6. td says:

Alberto has it right. If you don’t want people claiming dibs then shovel more and whine less.

7. chicago pop says:

These signs (and the post on HuffPo) are all so right on.

Thanks for taking a stand on this meat-headed practice that is beneath the stature of a Presidential city.

8. [...] The city is starting to crack down and a few citizens are taking it into their own hands. [...]

9. [...] here’s some fliers The Expired Meter produced a few years ago to use on your cretinous neighbors. Posted in Winter [...]

10. Lance Uppercut says:

The real solution to this problem has already been covered: Shovel a spot for someone else then do one for yourself. Repeat as needed.

Signs like this will probably not remedy the “dibs” behavior . . . if anything it will most likely not make that particular brand of primate even more belligerent.

Lance!

You’re right on as usual. Do the neighborly thing and dig out an extra space–especially you younger people.

Instead of fighting with your neighbors, work with your neighbors. Maybe you’ll even make some new friends or meet some people you’ve never met before.

12. Dummy says:

Although this seems like an honorable idea to keep junk off streets. In some of the rough wards, messing with peoples spots will lead to violence…and of course its kept hush hush by cpd….PTG I always agree with you. But making friends? Some people don’t give a crap.

13. Fast Car says:

In my ward and my previous ward, Dibs were ENFORCED by CPD. Homeowners could call the cops and the cops would come out and tell the guy to move his car from a dibs spot.

Good luck trying to stop this practice. This works in the areas that I live because they are all single family homes. I can see this dibs not working in the areas that have lots of apartment buildings and condos.

If I lived in those neighborhoods, I would rent a big dump truck and just take everyone’s crap off the street. Screw those type of a-hole neighbors. What a bunch of pansies.

15. Dummy says:

How is cpd going to enforce dibs without getting a C.I??? Oh ya new Ordinance 9-170-13a No vehicle should park in a place where junk is posted during Winter Snow Storms. $25 ticket

I’m with Dummy on this one.

I see a PO attempt to “enforce” Dibs, I’m going to ask for his/her badge number and File a CI for a Rule 14 violation, Improper Use of Authority, and Failure to Enforce 10-8-480.

17. SS says:

Fast Car: I can see dibs not working in the areas where PEOPLE ARE SANE!

Guys,

I have to say, we have pretty limited use of “dibs” where I live, although it seems to change block to block. But on our block, VERY little of this goofy stuff, thankfully.

Last year, because there were no really huge storms, I saw very little of this practice city wide.

So, to hear that cops actually enforce junk reserved parking in some parts of the city, is alarming to me.

I agree, if I saw cops trying to enforce this, I would be taking badge numbers, car numbers and taking photos.

19. SS says:

Only one house on my block claims dibs. We’re (mostly) sane in these parts.